Everyone has heard of No Shave November and while us girls would love to take part (and I am sure some even do), I know I couldn’t do it. My girlfriend and I were talking this weekend – not about No Shave November – but about us as women – loving ourselves, believing in ourselves and respecting ourselves. Married, single, divorced, young, old, in between – all females can relate to this topic. A lot is put on our shoulders. We have to be fit but not too skinny, pretty but not intimidating, successful, raise good kids, keep houses together while working, live in a constant guilt circle, come last and many times sacrifice our own needs…the list goes on. Not that there is not a lot expected out of men because there most definitely is. We tend to be harder on ourselves and maybe just a bit more emotional, however.
Our conversation led to both of us saying one word: enough. Enough of the worry, enough of the guilt, enough of the insecurity…enough of the shame. Since it is the beginning of November and forming habits and true life changes takes at least 30 days, we decided to have our own month of change called NO SHAME NOVEMBER. What does No Shame November look like?
• Consciously pick your thoughts like you pick your clothes (positive self-talk vs. negative self-talk)
• Let go of anything you know you truly need to stop hanging onto
• Stop accepting behavior/treatment from anyone that you should never accept
• Speak up for yourself
• Believe in yourself – and not just say you do – but really believe
• Put yourself first and do not feel guilty about it
• Get out of your own way – wait on God and he will act on your behalf
• See your true worth
• Give absolutely zero F’s
• Get rid of things you don’t need
• Give generously to others that are in need
• Fast/cleanse and exercise
• No more body shaming
• Treasure who you are right now
• Stop chasing anything or anyone – be done – what is for you will not pass you by
• Pamper and take care of yourself
• No more doubt, insecurity, guilt, comparison, worry, fear
• Do not hold back from being your true self and say what you think and feel without regret
• Write down everything you are thankful for
• Make time for your true priorities
• Learn something new
• Live in the moment
This list could go on and on. But it truly is whatever each one of us individually needs to not live in shame, guilt, regret or unhappiness. As women, it is so easy to go down the shame rabbit holes. This month, let’s all get together and say ENOUGH. Let’s start a movement. Who’s with us?!?!
Please share your No Shame November stories!