30 Ways to Love Yourself in 15 Minutes a Day
15 minutes a day. 105 minutes a week. 450 minutes a month. That’s only 90 hours in an entire year. Do you think you can carve that out of your life to focus solely on loving yourself? We should all take more time to love ourselves, but in the busy world of work, sports, side jobs, cleaning, shopping, running the kids’ taxi service, exercising, etc. it is not as easy as it should be to squeeze in this extra 15 minutes.
This is not something I’ve done as a set schedule, but as I write this post I am now committing to 15 minutes a day (I usually tend to save it all up and spend a couple of hours each week) to simply loving myself. There is nothing more important than loving yourself. If we don’t love ourselves, then no on else can, either. If we don’t see our own worth, then no one else can, either. If we don’t enjoy our own company, then no one else can, either.
While moving on with my life post-divorce and truly living on my own, I have had to come to terms with these truths. Facing my deepest insecurities head-on has not been easy or pretty, and I’m still very much working on loving myself without limits or conditions. That’s why the following 30 ways to love yourself in 15 minutes a day is just as helpful to me as it is to anyone reading this. Self control, self talk, saying no, boundary setting and enforcement all take practice, like anything else in life. Are you ready to practice? Are you ready to let yourself be truly seen so you can be truly loved? If so, here are 30 ways to practice loving yourself everyday:
- Pray in reverse – don’t be the one doing the talking with God – be silent and see what the Holy Spirit speaks to you in your mind
- Call someone important to you that you haven’t talked to in a long time – don’t text, CALL!
- Make a list of all of the qualities you like about yourself and all of the qualities you don’t like about yourself – re-visit this list every few weeks and see what progress you’ve made toward the qualities you don’t like
- Journal or blog – this can be about anything, about your day, a relationship, something you’re trying to work through, your raw thoughts, literally ANYTHING, just let your mind flow onto the paper and see what happens
- Learn something new – a hobby, language, sport, anything
- Make a list of your life goals and set reasonable time frames in which to accomplish them – pick one to focus on during your 15 minutes until it is accomplished
- Find a good yoga app
- Sit outside and simply observe everything around you
- Make a list of all of the things you are thankful for
- Draw or paint a picture
- Write yourself a letter and forgive yourself for something you need to forgive yourself for
- Take a bath, light a candle and relax in silence or to your favorite music
- Drive around and sing at the top of your lungs
- Go to Target – YES this is a way to love yourself, I promise! I also get a large fountain Diet Coke and a bag of popcorn from the snack bar to shop with me – WARNING – this may exceed 15 minutes but doesn’t have to 🙂
- Lay in the sun and let your face truly feel it soaking in
- Go for a walk or bike ride
- Figure out the rules and boundaries you want for yourself – what do you need to be saying no to?
- Make a list of your favorite things
- Write a card to someone and send it in the mail
- Write a card to yourself and send it in the mail
- Dance to loud music and watch yourself in the mirror, too! Smile and HAVE FUN doing this one
- Bake cookies
- Read a few chapters of a book
- Get a coffee and people watch in your favorite coffee shop
- Buy yourself fresh flowers and put them in your kitchen
- Ask someone for feedback
- Do some sort of puzzle – jigsaw, crossword, word search, etc.
- Record yourself saying something you want yourself to hear in the future – play back these recordings often
I could probably keep going, but here are the 30 ways to love yourself in just 15 minutes a day. What do you think? What would you add?